Saturday, June 30, 2012

Week Eleven: A New Commandment

According to John 13:34-35, others can know that we are disciples of Christ by the way we act toward and treat those around us. Even more than that, "all men" will know that we are Christ's disciples because we love one another. The love we show for each other reveals us as disciples.

As a disciple of Christ, in the situation that someone I know is ridiculed or made fun of because of the way he or she dresses, I would defend that person, telling whoever is doing the ridiculing that I choose my friends by the way they act, and not the way they dress. In the situation that I see someone new at church, as a disciple of Christ, the best way to act would be to go and greet them with a smile and make sure they have somebody to sit with.

I've been trying to consider how I treat people lately, and there is one person at work that I realized that I wasn't treating very well because of another person's opinion of him. I realized last Sunday that I have no right to treat him that way, especially when I wasn't even the one he slighted. I decided to make it a priority to treat him fairly from now on, without letting another person's opinion taint my opinion of him. I haven't seen him very often since then, so I haven't really had the chance to be nicer to him, but I hope to act with love toward him in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment